My Photo
Name:
Location: houston, tx, United States

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

One Last Thing For The Night...

I forgot one last thing, for those of you that have mentioned Rome, here is the situation. I was planning on going until tonight. At dinner the professors made an announcement to us about this weekend. Apparently the government keeps the center informed on things, or else they have some other connection, but we were told the following. Right now there are an estimated 2 million Italian Catholics in Rome and in the next 24 hours an estimated additional 2 million Polish Catholics will be taking every means of transportation available to get to Rome. By this weekend, including inhabitants of Rome, these visitors, and other Italians within a close proximity to Rome, there will be an estimates 4 to 5 million people in Rome. There have been a few people from the center who ventured there this last weekend and they reported the lines to take at least 7 hours to get into St. Peters for a 30 second viewing of the body and as of tomorrow the casket will be closed anyway. One of the Resident Advisors went to Rome today and said that the lines were in excess of 14 hours and that the trains were already ridiculous on the way down - there was standing room only and it was overflowing. Furthermore one of the main airports in Rome has been shut down for the next 1000 hours and is for the explicit use of diplomats and other VIP's only, which has killed a lot of people here's weekend plans. So, having been told all of this I have decided that it is not near worth the time, possible theft, or energy to waste my time even attempting to get near Vatican City this weekend. I believe Saturday morning they are transporting the body to Poland for official burial. So anyway, while I'm sure this may disappoint some of you who were hoping I would take advantage of this historical time and my present situation, I'm sorry, but it just isn't worth it to me. I hope you understand. Bonne Serra!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home